Winnipeg’s Fall Curbside Giveaway Weekend is coming September 9 and 10, and it is the perfect time to find a new home for your gently-used, unwanted items. This is also the perfect time to hunt for some new to you treasures in your neighbourhood, community and city.
Tips if you are giving away items
· Place unwanted household items at the curb on your front street.
· Label each item with a FREE sticker or sign.
· Store items out of sight that you don't want to give away.
· Remove leftover items from the curb by dusk on Sunday.
Examples of giveaway items include:
· Books, CDs and DVDs
· Furniture, electronics and small appliances
· Sports equipment and toys
· Yard and gardening tools and equipment (e.g., lawn mowers, snow blowers, rakes, shovels)
· Kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans
· Unwanted gifts
· Construction material (e.g., nails, paint, wood)
Please do not put out:
· Items that could be unsafe
· Items infested with bed bugs (e.g., mattresses, furniture, bedding)
· Toilets (with a flush volume of 13 litres or more)
Tips if you are cruising the curbs looking for treasures
· Take only the items at the curb marked "FREE".
· Check all items closely to ensure they are safe and in good condition before you put them in your vehicle or bring them into your home.
· Don't walk or drive on private lawns or gardens.
· Don't discard any items on private property.
· Obey the traffic laws at all times (e.g., don't block traffic, park illegally or block driveways with your vehicle).
· Watch out for children.
For more information on the giveaway weekend, including what to do with leftover items:
· Call 311 any time or email email@example.com
· Download the My Waste app at winnipeg.ca/mywaste
For information on items that aren’t safe to give away (e.g., baby walkers, lawn darts), please visit, Government of Canada - Consumer Product Safety.