City Accepting Applications for Winnipeg Food Council Membership
April 05, 2017
Residents are invited to submit their applications for membership in the newly-minted Winnipeg Food Council.
“The issues of local food production and distribution are important for our health,” said Councillor Brian Mayes, Chair of the Standing Policy Committee on Downtown Development, Heritage and Riverbank Management. “I look forward to receiving recommendations from this new committee.”
On February 22, 2017, Council voted unanimously to create a food council, which will serve to:
- Advise the Mayor and Council on food system related issues;
- Support the work of the community on food issues, enhance public health and local food security, and increase food literacy and access to food by encouraging multi-sector and strategic approaches, fostering coordination and networking, and supporting ongoing consultation; and
- Initiate the development of and support the implementation, maintenance and evaluation of a City of Winnipeg Agricultural and Food Strategy to address municipal food security and food system issues. The City of Winnipeg Agricultural and Food Strategy will:
- include policy directions identified through community engagement , focused research, innovative initiatives, and otheractions to identify proven practices;
- include evaluation and implementation components; and
- be operationalized in partnership with the Winnipeg Public Service, the local food movement, businesses, community agencies, stakeholder groups, and private citizens.
The Winnipeg Food Council membership application can be found here: winnipeg.ca/WinnipegFoodCouncil.
The application submission deadline is Friday, April 21, 2017.