Are you doing some late-season cleaning and have some items in good condition that you’ll never use again? Residents are invited to take advantage of this year’s fall giveaway weekend on September 8 and 9, 2012.
This is a great opportunity to find a new owner for those reusable unwanted items taking up space in your home or to browse the curbs for some great finds.
Tips if you are giving away items
· Place unwanted household items at the curb on your front street.
· Label each item with a FREE sticker or sign.
· Keep any items safely tucked away that you don't want to give away.
· Remove leftover items from the curb by dusk on Sunday.
Examples of giveaway items include:
· books, CDs and DVDs
· furniture, electronics and small appliances
· sports equipment and toys
· yard and gardening tools and equipment (e.g., lawn mowers, snow throwers, rakes, shovels)
· kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans
· unwanted gifts
· construction material (e.g., nails, paint, wood)
Please do not put out:
· hazardous material
· items that could be unsafe
· items that could carry bedbugs
Tips if you are cruising the curbs looking for treasures:
· Take only the items at the curb marked "FREE.”
· Respect other people's property – don't walk or drive on people's lawns or gardens.
· Don't discard any items on another person’s lawn.
· Obey the traffic laws at all times (e.g., don't block traffic, park illegally or block people's driveways with your vehicle).
· Watch out for children and pets.
For more information on the giveaway weekend, including what to do with leftover items, visit http://www.winnipeg.ca/interhom or contact 311, open 24 hours every day, by phone at 311 or by email at email@example.com
For information on items that may not be safe to give away (e.g., baby walkers, lawn darts), visit the Consumer Product Safety Bureau at http://hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/cons/garage-eng.php>